Art Grant Proposals for Decompression 2016 ** CLOSED **
|The AZBurners Art Fund
promotes artistic expression by providing financial support for art
projects at the AZ Regional Events, Saguaro Man and Decompression.
The goals of this fund are to attract a wider range of artists,
inspire creativity, and foster diverse works of art that reflect the
values within our community. The AZ Burner Art Fund promotes
artistic expression by providing financial support for art projects
at the AZ Regional Burning Man Events.
Regional events revolve around artistic expression, and we all benefit from the artist's endeavors. In order to establish the opportunity for art funding, the regional committee has implemented an increase in ticket prices for the events. This increase is a reflection of the communities positive response to past art projects, and the call to greater artist participation.
The last day of accepting applications is 07/20/16. If we receive your application after this date, it will NOT be considered. The Art Committee will then review, ask questions, request revisions and then determine the award for approved projects. The more details you include, the less questions we'll have for you, and the faster we can complete the decision process. Any materials submitted will not be returned, regardless of application acceptance. *Be sure and read ALL of the instructions.* Your application must be 100% complete - answer all questions or it will NOT be considered. It is imperative that you provide us with a complete application in a timely manner. Please include drawings or diagrams to support your application, and a detailed budget is also required. Please assume that any materials submitted will not be returned, regardless of application acceptance.
06/04/16: Art Grant Submissions open
07/20/16: Last day to submit proposals
08/03/16: Final revisions cut off
08/17/16: Artists notified of awards
Questions about the Art Grant Submission Process - ArizonaArts(at)azburners(dot)org
Mandatory Considerations for Funding:
• Project must appear at the AZ Burning Man regional event, Saguaro Man or Decompression during the current funding year
• Volunteer commitment of materials and man hours are established
• Additional funding sources are in place-grants fund only a portion of projects
• Funding goes toward materials and project transportation only-funding does not cover labor costs or personal transportation.
• Project demonstrates feasibility, planning, and a realistic budget and timeline
• Safety procedures are in place
• Leave No Trace plan is clearly established
• Art is interactive
• Art provokes creative intelligence
• Regional project is playa bound
• Sustainable art versus one time burnable art
• Reduce Reuse Recycle part of plan
• Art grant proposals are submitted via the on-line request for funds
• Each proposal is reviewed by the AZBurner Art Council
• Only proposals that meet all requirements and criteria are accepted for consideration
• Projects must adhere to a detailed production schedule and timeline as outlined in the original proposal
• Grant Facilitators will assist artists with keeping to this schedule
• Funded artists will provide the Art Council with progress reports
• Funding requests for renovations on existing art installations are accepted
• Funding will be dispersed following a signed contract between the artist and the AZBurners Art Fund, LLC
• In the event that a project is not completed, all funds will be returned to the art fund within 15 days of the event
Frequently Asked Questions:
What is the purpose of the AZBurners Art Fund?
The AZBurners Art Fund promotes artistic expression by providing financial support for art projects at the AZ Regional Burning Man Events.
Where does the money for art grants come from?
Once event costs are covered, all of the remaining profit from ticket sales goes into the art grant fund and is dispersed back into the community for creative endeavors at our regional events.
Will funds be set aside for fireworks, safety lighting, etc?
Fireworks are prohibited at our regional events, however, costs for ignition to burn projects and safety lighting can be built into your budget for material costs.
Do we cover transportation costs?
The cost for transporting projects can be built into the budget, however, the art fund does not cover personal transportation. Our preference is to maximize how money is dispersed by primarily funding material costs.
What are the sizes of the art grants?
The amount of funding depends entirely upon how much funding is in place, the number of proposals received, and total amounts requested.
If we receive a grant, can I keep and show my art at other events?
Yes, we encourage you to show your art at other events.
I If I receive a grant, can I get into the event at no charge?
Unfortunately we cannot gift tickets to artists who have received an art grant.
Participants at these events are responsible for purchasing their own tickets, including artists and their crews.
If we receive a grant, can I get into the event early?
Yes we encourage early entry for our artists to set up their projects prior to the opening of the event.
Can I apply for a grant if I received on last year?
The AZBurners Art Fund was established to attract a wider range of artists. Although we accept proposals from previous grant recipients, first time applicants will receive preference if funding is limited.
Can I reapply for a grant if I didn’t get one last year?
Does the AZBurners Art Fund own publicity rights to the funded work, and what does that mean?
We ask that all grant recipients place the phrase “Funded in part by The AZBurners Art Fund” in any printed documents (and web pages) about the work. We also retain license to display images and descriptions of the work for publicity (such as on our web page) and for not-for-profit purposes.
Does our art have to be interactive / participatory?
One of the 10 Principles is that everyone should participate. In keeping with this ethos, participatory art is encouraged and interactivity is a consideration.
Will you be placing my art at the event?
Yes. Our Placement Team will be involved making sure your art is seen and enjoyed by the largest number of participants possible.
What are the artist’s responsibilities?
• Complete your work.
• Keep the AZ Burner Art Council updated via progress reports.
• Communicate your progress-Let us know how things are going.
• Abide by the contract. Save and submit ALL receipts.
• Let us know where else you are displaying your work.
• Provide credit for the support given in print and web materials.
• Submit an after burn report for the project and your experience within 15 days of the event.